Monday, July 21, 2008

Camp Baldwin

Late Friday night, I got home from Scout camp. Like last year, we went to Camp Baldwin, which is known by many boy scouts for its man made/heated lake. The down-side is that it is at 5000 ft. elevation, so if your camp sight is at the top of a hill (mine wasn't called "high prairie" for nothing), then you'll be wheezing by the time you get to the top.
Apart from the elevation, the only bad thing about camp was the dust and the food. The food would actually be pretty good, because you cook it yourself. The only problem is that they have horrible ingredients. The cheese they gave us made McDonald's look like Tillamook.
While I was at camp, I went on two overnight things were I slept under the stars. One was an astronomy thing, and the other was an awesome horse ride. It had a total of about two hours of riding, and if you had a good horse like mine, it was really fun. the horses knew the way and would just follow the horse in front of them.
Overall, I think that camp was great, but I've never been to another one to compare t to. If you've been to a scout or girls camp, please give me some insight on what others are like.

4 comments:

Ken said...

Sleeping under the stars sounds pretty cool.

Post some photos if you've got them!

Eldon and Janeil Olsen said...

Camp is supposed to help you appreciate home and family and being clean and cared for. It's also probably good preparation for a mission. I just know your family missed you.

Love
Grandma O.

vaxhacker said...

Going to Baldwin last week was a lot of fun, but we're glad we're back home now, too! This was our troop's third year in a row at Baldwin and the one thing we made sure we did this time was to bring lots of spices to add to the food they provided.

I never went to Baldwin as a youth, but went to Meriwether and Spirit Lake several times back then. Each had its special qualities, and I think you'll appreciate each one. Baldwin's claim to fame is, of course, its horses. I liked Meriwether a lot, too, being at the beach even if the climate is more damp there. (And they serve you meals in the dining hall there.)

Spirit Lake was my all-time favorite, but unfortunately that was taken out by a volcano in 1980 so that's history now.

I'm pretty sure we're going to Meriwether next year, so that'll be cool.

brenda said...

My girls camp was Camp Alpine, and you know how I feel about that place. But it wasn't the same back in the day. There was a pump for water and no buildings or structures of any kind. We lashed together makeshift shower compartments and poured water heated on a fire over each other. (That's if we showered at all.) We dug a "spit pit" for our toothbrushing. We rigged upsidedown milk jugs of water next to the spit pit for a faucet, and hung a bar of soap in pantyhose (for some reason no one had invented liquid soap yet). We cooked all our meals over a fire.

But before I had children I went to a girls camp as a leader in Utah, and it was a lot like Baldwin, with permanent tent structures. We did our own cooking at that one too, though.