Monday, January 7, 2008
Battle of the Books
At my old elementary school they had a competition called "battle of the books." It consisted of teams of four trying to answer questions about a list of preassigned books before the opposing team could. Only forth and fifth graders could enter, and I did both years. My team won both years, in our school and a rival school. I was surprised that my new middle school did it my sixth grade year, but I got a team together in time and we won! I was even more surprised, though that my seventh grade language arts teacher was willing to support battle of the books for the whole school just for me and my friend. This time it was my friend that organized a team and turned the papers in on time. Things were looking great until I realized that for one, I didn't have a list of the books yet, two, the battles were only two months away, and three, I had two days to get the list from someone if I wanted to make any progress over winter break! I ended up having to call someone to get the list, and by then I only had about a month to read as many of the books as possible. My mom figured out that I had to read two books a week to finish them in time, and these are some pretty decent sized books. It is six days later and I'm about 20 hours ahead of schedule, so I'm off to a good start. I'll keep you posted on how the battles go, but that's going to be in February, so I'll think of something else to write about in the mean time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hmm...it might be more like 3 books a week. Not sure when your battles are--but they start next month, right?
I can't wait to hear more about the books. Tell us what you recommend!
hi berkeley,
it's great that you love to read so much. what books are on the list? fiction? history? science?
i look forward to your posts.
cousin grant
Book Lords, Great Brains, Tier One Tamaracks...man you guys rock!
Post a Comment